Friday, March 18, 2011

Asus G50vt-X5 overheating

So I've had this laptop for about a year now, everything has always ran smooth without a problem, it's handled almost every game for me but...



Now whenever I try to play a game on it such as GTA IV, the GPU overheats up to 109C* CPU hovers around 92C*



I'm playing with everything at the absolute lowest settings and I still get these results. When I first bought this laptop, I played GTA IV on it and I never had these problems, even with everything at high.



What should I try doing?

Reply 1 : Asus G50vt-X5 overheating


Quote:







I played GTA IV on it and I never had these problems, even with everything at high.


Sounds like a straight up lie, but I am gonna leave that one alone lol.



After about 1.5 years on myne it was time for a serious cleaning. I blew into the vent and got a nice 5C drop from the vents not being entirely clogged. Probably another good 10C drop after actually pulling the cooler out cleaning it and the fan out and repasting. Note that I had pasted the laptop after the original cpu upgrade.



If the GPU is hitting over 105C it should be downclocking and the game should run like crap. GTA4 is CPU intensive so the GPU temps tend to not vary with settings.



As always a good can of air. You can blow out the heatsink a bit with only the bottom off but a good clean will require pulling the heatpipe assembly so you can clean the housing and fan correctly. Pulling the assembly also requires repasting, which can be of great benefit if you choose not to be scared of it, no reason to be either.



Only other thought is you didn't say whether the fan is spinning up like it should.

No comments:

Post a Comment