Thursday, March 17, 2011

VPC-Z with Invisible Shield Protection

As requested, I'll share how I got my Z fitted with 3M's Invisible Shield. This material is the same material that shops use for paint protection or "clear bras" on cars. The film is fairly thin, clear, and protects the finish underneath whatever it is protecting. The quality of the film is pretty high and it's not supposed to yellow over time (not that us computer users have to worry about that since the computer wouldn't be in the sun all day like a car might). The application does, however, require a solution to be applied (in other words, the film must be wet when it's applied to the surface).



I took my computer to a local window tint shop that generally works on real cars to have my lid, and the left and right side of the palmrests protected. They used a machine to laser cut the material, however, the technician said the machine can't cut that "U" shape of the palmrest as one piece so the area above my trackpad is the bare plastic. The application went right over the indented "VAIO" area on the left palmrest and it feels like it's embossed. There was, however, a thing stuck in the "I" before it was applied so now it's stuck in there unless I decide to get that redone.



The tint shop did the three pieces (lid and two palmrests) in about half an hour and charged me $30 for the job. Generally with the application process, they will apply the solution on the surface and the 3M material but since this was a computer, he just applied it to the 3M and it's been holding up fine.



A few complaints about the material in general is that there is some slight wavyness to it like that of orange peel if you're familiar with the paint term. You only see this in the correct lighting. When it's dark it's hardly noticeable. Since the surface of the palmrest is now glossy instead of matte, sweat and other grime sticks to it and requires cleaning more often than before. It's also much more finger print prone.



The technician also didn't cut the lid straight, and the trailing edge near the webcam is slightly wavy. I have a feeling that he cut 3 sides with the laser machine and the 4th side he cut with an Xacto to try and get as close to the edge as possible.



Since I wanted my trackpad and a few other areas protected from everyday wear and tear, I bought some of the 3M material off eBay and tried applying it myself. I cut out a rectangle for the trackpad, rectangles for the left and right mouse buttons, a "U" for the finger print scanner trim, and a small rectangle atop the fingerprint scanner. I tried to get the cut as close as possible with an Xacto but some edges are slightly off. I figure I can always take it off and try a new piece when it bothers me enough, but it's fine for now. I also used a wet solution when applying it but made sure to use it sparingly. The finish look the same to that of the "professionally" finished pieces next to it. I then cut a few rectangles and attached it to the battery, and various stickers underneath the machine. The usability of the trackpad has not changed in any way, only the texture has changed. I would highly recommend feeling the material first to see if it's something you'd like using every day.



I would say that the lid looks quite nice with the glossy finish on it. Before, I had the matte prem carbon finish as the glossy is only available on the $4800 Signature preconfigured machine here in the US. By putting this material on it, the lid became a glossy lid and it really brought out the texture/ pattern of the matte lid.



As for the keyboard cover, it's a silicone cover that someone on this board showed in the cases and bags thread from Taiwan. It fits the keyboard perfectly and has protected it from the dreaded shiny keys. Most say it's ugly but I personally don't mind it. I also find it quite comfortable to type on. For those interested I got it from here: ENJOY Keyboard Protector



Pictures (click on them to make them larger) Unfortunately this forum has a ridiculously small photo posting limit:



































Here, you can see the wavyness of the image:



















Here you can see the image of the lid and how the colors and pattern is really brought out:







As for trying this yourself, I bought this material (same as they used in the shop) 12"x 24" Venture Shield Paint Protection Film clear bra - eBay (item 380255991987 end time Mar-29-11 21:45:00 PDT)

It's not awfully expensive so you can buy some and try for yourself. If you don't like the results you can try taking it to a window tinting place and have them do it.



I had the lid and palmrests installed one week after I got the machine back in November, 2010, so after four months of use, I haven't noticed any signs of wear and tear. There are a few scratches on the material, but it should be able to be taken out with some rubbing alcohol. There are only two marks on the palmrests and that's from each corner of the big rubber feet running next to the webcam hitting the film and leaving a mark when closed.



In closing, I found that the best way to combat scratches and the general color wearing off of the palmrest was to cover it with something. I think that this is the best solution on the market and it doesn't look tacky like some of the other ones available that's already precut. I hope you found this informative and if you need any additional pictures just ask for a better shot. (I can get a better camera if necessary).

Reply 1 : VPC-Z with Invisible Shield Protection

Thanks for the guide GenericSN <-- haha i just got that



my first thought: Glossy! O.o... the lid looks like the Glossy Premium Carbon Fiber of the $4.5K Signature Series model.



Does the material attract as much fingerprints as i think it does? In a few of the pics you have some tree or something reflected and i thought on first glance that it was a bump.



In any case, that looks like the most babied laptop in the world



edit: nvm my fingerprint question, i just didnt read closely enough ><

Reply 2 : VPC-Z with Invisible Shield Protection

I forgot to link this photo which was taken by a member on this forum. His is a factory glossy CF lid: fibra! | Flickr - Photo Sharing! and as you can see it looks more or less just like mine.



And yes the material does attract finger prints, streaks, etc. It requires quite a bit of wiping and the occasional cleaning with some car products. And yes the material is quite glossy.



I do end up babying this computer probably way too much. I ended up getting so worried about breaking it by bringing it everywhere that I got a P to take over most of the note taking duties in class.



Off topic: I never noticed that yours is a 192GB configuration. Did they only offer that in the US on the Z11? How much was that option if you don't mind me asking? The 256 option was $300 for me and I decided to pass on that since storage can be expanded other ways and the computer was way too expensive as is.

Reply 3 : VPC-Z with Invisible Shield Protection

I think your Z is over protected, and I'm pretty jealous. Somebody ran off with my ZeroShock case and even though it was in a padded section of my backpack it only took a few days for the lid to somehow obtain a few scratches. I think my biggest worry is the palm rests, I need to get something on those before I get these large worn out areas that I see on everybody elses notebooks!

Reply 4 : VPC-Z with Invisible Shield Protection

You want to hear something ironic, caldoer? I have a Sony VGP-SKZ1 hard case made out of fabric and leather: http://salestores.com/stores/images/...7/VGPCKSZ1.jpg and on the inside there's a small Sony tag similar to a T shirt size tag. That damn tag has sharp corners and put a scratch on my lid within the first few days I got it!



At least you're lucky to only have lost your case and not the computer!

Reply 5 : VPC-Z with Invisible Shield Protection


Quote:








Originally Posted by caldoer
View Post

I think your Z is over protected, and I'm pretty jealous. Somebody ran off with my ZeroShock case and even though it was in a padded section of my backpack it only took a few days for the lid to somehow obtain a few scratches. I think my biggest worry is the palm rests, I need to get something on those before I get these large worn out areas that I see on everybody elses notebooks!



Yeah... mines got some really large wear patches (I got my Z in early May). Then again i got sweaty palms and i game a ton on these things... BUT at least i can prove to my parents i was working VERY hard at school, I got the evidence to prove it!




Quote:








Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
View Post

You want to hear something ironic, caldoer? I have a Sony VGP-SKZ1 hard case made out of fabric and leather: http://salestores.com/stores/images/...7/VGPCKSZ1.jpg and on the inside there's a small Sony tag similar to a T shirt size tag. That damn tag has sharp corners and put a scratch on my lid within the first few days I got it!



At least you're lucky to only have lost your case and not the computer!



Yeah... I think we should petition Sony to make the lid actual carbon fiber so that it's scratch resistant and not just plastic with some carbon fiber dust... I noticed that in my Zeroshock 3 case that the lid is starting to look a little unpolished from the wavy material in the case, or maybe i'm just imagining it...

Reply 6 : VPC-Z with Invisible Shield Protection

Mine is highly warn in the right side of the palm rest.

I don't really mind, it gives it that personal touch.

I got mine when they first came out in April.

Reply 7 : VPC-Z with Invisible Shield Protection

Carbon fiber isn't scratch resistant either. My MC3 case got scratched within the first few days when it lightly rubbed against an aluminum tissue holder accessory sitting on the island.



Ultimately what would've been nice is for the plastic palmrest to be milled from the same piece of aluminum that the rest of the keyboard surround is made from. Nevertheless, I'm studying design in school so hopefully I can be the one to make these decisions one day. =]

Reply 8 : VPC-Z with Invisible Shield Protection

Amazing!



Would any tint store be able to make a clear shield?



What exactly did you ask them?

Reply 9 : VPC-Z with Invisible Shield Protection


Quote:








Originally Posted by DeathDealer
View Post

Amazing!



Would any tint store be able to make a clear shield?



What exactly did you ask them?



I say find out where a few tint stores are in your area and give them a call. Just ask if they can custom cut some clear bra material (mine is 3M Venture Shield) for a laptop computer. My installer said it's possible and that I should bring it in for him to take a look at. When I brought it in he said it's very doable and that they take no liability if they damage the computer during the install. Just make sure you take the battery out when you do it in case an accident does occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment